Thursday, August 6, 2015

#TMC15

What I learned at Twitter Math Camp 2015

I’ve got to keep this short and sweet because I just have way too much to do before teacher workshop week is upon me! EEK! Because of that, I am going to fall back on an oldie, but a goodie, the Triangle-Square-Circle reflection thing-a-majig that I’ve had my students use in the past to reflect on their learning.

1. Triangle After a lesson, have students draw a triangle and next to it write down three important points from the presentation or reading they just saw or completed.
2. Square Then, have students draw a square and next to it write down anything that “squares” with their thinking or anything they agree with.
3. Circle Finally, have the students draw a circle and next to it write down anything that is still “circling” in their head or questions that they have.

    1.  Make a safe space in my classroom using Social Circles. This represents a TOP priority for me this year and is my #1TMCthing
    2.  Fawn Nguyen’s keynote represented one of the most important parts of this community--the love for the work and the quest to never stop learning.
    3.  TMC and MTBoS is where I want to be for professional learning. I am going to strive to be less of a lurker and more of a contributor in the coming year.



    To Learn is to DO!!!!



    I know I just said this when talking about past conferences.  But it is necessary to say again, and again.  Just like when I teach my mom how to use her smartphone, if I'm the one doing it, she won't learn a thing.  We have to get the learners doing in order for any learning to happen. Some of my favorite takeaways from #TMC15 all involve student's doing:

    Vertical Non-Permanent Surfaces and Visibly Random Groups

    I didn't even go to this session, but the twitter talk got me latched on to this idea.  Funny enough, I had made a note to myself 7 months prior to make this happen after seeing it on twitter back then.  I can't wait to share classroom pictures of students working and talking this year, while I bask in the glory of so many diverse kiddos doing math!  My skin tingles just thinking about it.  (I even got a colleague to join me in the adventure of decking our classrooms in homemade whiteboards. Score!)
    From my Google Keep records

    Math Talks


    It's official, this is going to perpetuate my Senior Math classroom this year.  This elective class that I am teaching could be taught as a classic test prep course since it was designed as such.

    4195 Senior Math
    Course Description: The student will review math topics such as fractions, percents, ratio and proportion, integers, and basic algebra. This course will review math skills needed for post high school jobs and education options. The student will be able to problem solve using basic math computations and basic algebra solving techniques. Evaluation: Grades will be determined by tests, quizzes, class assignments, projects, and the final exam.

    I cannot wait to create better math thinkers through Math Talks.  I've added a new book to my bookshelf and I look forward to diving in head first in trimester 2.





    Still circling around in my head: How can I incorporate Socrative Seminars?  I know this could be a great learning structure, but I am still trying to think about how it would look in my classes.  Bottom line is, however, that I have to create a classroom environment where students are talking and doing before I can ever think about Socrative Seminars.  So, for now, I hope to accomplish that while I mull over Socrative Seminars a little more.


    BONUS:

    Whoa--twice I incorporated the Mullet lesson prior to leaving classroom for two years and low an behold it was @MrVaudrey whom I had the pleasure of learning from again with the Barbie Bungee and Music Cues (a my favorite presentation).  It made me realize that I have been lurking in this MTBoS for three full years.   Enough is enough, I am going to engage in the MTBoS instead of just lurking.  At the very least, I want to reflect back all the great stuff I have the pleasure of stealing and using in my classroom!

    And, yes, that was a short post. There is soooooo much more I could say about the inspiration and momentum created after attending Twitter Math Camp ‘15. But, by golly, I’ve got too much darn work to do now to make it all happen before the kiddos arrive on September 1st.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment