Thursday, August 20, 2015

What do you do all summer?

Often times, when I meet new people in the summer, and they find out I am a teacher, they ask "What do you do all summer?"  I find that question hard to answer with a quick sentence or two.  How do you sum up all the experiences that one has in a couple months of "free" time?  That's like asking people who work 9-5 (and leave work at work) what they do every evening and weekend.  "What do you do with all that time?"   From now on I will direct them to this post because it is pretty telling of how I spend many of my summers as a teacher.

Summer 2015 by the Numbers, of course!

0 times mowing my yard. Yes, that's right, doctor's orders!  Much gratitude to my sister and neighbor! 1 tumble off a cliff. 2 trips to California for conferences (and family time).

San Diego--you are magnificent!
The Kennedy High School AVID Conference team.


Lake Arrowhead is looking a little dry!
Anyone need a roommate in CA?

My aunt and I visiting the old family cabin in Lake Arrowhead
3 weekends sleeping in my own bed.  4 knitting projects completed.  5 days in Kansas City for the Fourth of July with family.  6 books read.  7 hours spent prepping and painting my kitchen.   
four hour class sessions of "Strategic Financial Planning for School Leaders" at the University of Minnesota. 9 Minnesota lakes visited. 10 doctor appointments for torn ligaments in my knee after a bike accident.  
11 skeins of yarn transformed through knitting. 12 hours spent preparing my classroom before workshop week started. 18 hours spent with colleagues collaborating on curriculum for the upcoming school year. 20 hours spent traveling to conferences. 30 days of preparing and eating real, delicious food re: Whole 30. 
 40 internship hours at an Elementary Summer School. I have a new love for 1st graders and a ton of respect for their teachers!   
42 sunfish caught while fishing on a beautiful July morning.   
55  hours spent learning at

professional conferences.   81 days spent away from routine.  100+ math problems solved in preparation of new classes ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment